My gaming and writing are feeding off of each other. I got into playing Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel. The character I play is a cyborg mercenary with body modification addiction, which reminded me of a character in one of my stories. However, the character I wrote is a bit more principled than the game's character.
In "The Chronicle of the Heir: Death Sets Sail," Scorp is a partially mechanical second-mate and security enforcer of the ship 'Reckless Revelry', who is succumbing to bod-mod addiction. But I'm careful not to make it seem like I'm plagiarizing. Cybernetic upgrading and modification addiction (cybernetic and otherwise), are both common character motifs; and it's really about what the writer wants to do with those motifs.
The main reason I decided to make Scorp a cyborg is because of the old stories about pirates with eye patches, hooks, and peg legs, so I decided to make him have futuristic versions of all three.
Also, I've decided to split the spotlight among three adventuring parties for the fifth "Chronicle of the Heir" story. I haven't quite figured out what will constitute each party, though. I've also started writing the third and fourth stories at the same time - "Wanted" and "Requiem."
No comments:
Post a Comment