Tuesday, October 31, 2017

My writing process: Numbers are everywhere.

     Sometimes, during my writing process, I get stuck on taking notes for consistency.
     Because of my background as a tabletop, trading card, console, and PC gamer, I am very much a numbers person. I quantify everything with values to help wrap my mind around concepts and ideas. At least once a day, I say the phrase "on a scale of 1 to 10..."
     With this in mind, when I envision a species, setting (planet/station/ship), organization (crime syndicates/mage orders), I write up stats for them. These stats reflect different aspects of society, such as different levels of technology, magic, psionics, etc. These stats run from a scale of 0 to around 100.
     With the stat method, I have it established that one society has a certain level of military offensive technology, for example, will more likely defeat another society with a lower level of military defensive technology. The greater the difference in those technologies, the more drastic the terms I would use in describing the destruction. For instance, Species A would have an offense of 60 and a defense of 50, whereas Species B would have a 50 and 50, respectively; most battles between the two species would end with a costly victory for Species A. On the other hand, if Species A had a 60 and 60, and Species B had a 40 and 40, then almost every battle would be described as destructive vanquishing of Species B.
     After a while of hammering out numbers and assigning values, I've finally starting shaping an ordered matrix of logic from which stories and coherent history naturally flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment